Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Card of the Day: 2008 Topps Co-Signers Boxing Solo Sigs Ivan Calderon


Ever since Topps Co-Signers dropped on April 30, I have nothing too positive about 2008 Topps Co-Signers baseball, and most people are griping about the same thing: autographed cards of boxers in their baseball box.

The argument is that a baseball product should have baseball cards in it rather than players from other sports, but I think many of these collectors are missing the obvious.

Is Topps Allen & Ginter not one of the most popular products released on the entire baseball calendar?

Let's take a look at some of the cards that have been featured in A&G.

-Danica Patrick (IRL)
-Presidents
-Inventors
-Boxers
-Snakes
-Emperors
-DNA cards

Knowing that, how many people have you heard complain about the quality of their Allen & Ginter box? I, for one, haven't heard a single one.

The problem is that Co-Signers doesn't have a very good secondary market value, which isn't Topps' fault, it's collector's fault. Collector's can't stand it if they get three regular autos in their box. They write off a nasty e-mail to Topps complaining about it and talking about how they won't ever buy Topps again, but at the end of the day, they still buy Topps products.

Not every box can be great people. Keep that in mind when you buy stuff.

Based on the complaints I have heard, I would only have one suggestion for Topps to improve this product. Include three baseball autographs per box as guarentees and make the boxing autographs rare hits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The complaints about Co-Signers, including my own which I wrote in a letter and mailed to the Topps company, have been numerous. The boxing autographs were a bad idea. However, my biggest complaint was the generic autos in a box with a $125 price point. Aside from a few Cubs base cards, I got absolutely nothing collectible out of my box, and will never buy Co-Signers again. Look at the 2007 relese. You can buy boxes all day for $65. As far as I'm concerned, Topps could eliminate this product, and I wouldn't care in the least