Sunday, July 13, 2008

Card of the Day: 1956 Topps Sandy Koufax


Who doesn't love a good vintage card?

I sure love them, but I sure can't afford them. It's gem like this Sandy Koufax that I only wish I could add to my collection. However, I do have a few original cards of Hall of Famers from the 1950s and 1960s.

While I have nothing glaring like a 1952 Mantle, a 1954 Aaron or a 1963 Rose, but I do have a few cards (kind of) worthy of mention.

My oldest cards are 1951 Bowman cards of Eddie Joost and Joe Page which are nothing special. To get to the first card I have of anyone who had a remotely star-laden career you have to go to 1955 where I have the Bowman Ralph Kiner. I then have a 1956 Topps Al Rosen and a 1958 Topps Gus Triandos.

The oldest card I have of an actual Hall of Famer is a 1961 Post Red Schoendienst as well as a 1961 Topps Stamps Robin Roberts. Next up is a 1962 Topps Stamps Orlando Cepada and a 1967 Topps Strikeout Leaders card that includes Koufax and Jim Bunning.

Probably my two best pre-1970 vintage cards are a 1968 Topps Home Run Leaders with Hank Aaron, Ron Santo and Willie McCovey along with a 1969 Topps Ernie Banks.

Moving into the 1970s, I have several Hall of Famers. Some of the best include a 1970 Topps Leaders card of Tom Seaver, Phil Niekro, Fergie Jenkins and Juan Marichal; a 1970 Topps Manager card of Ted Williams; a 1971 O-Pee-Chee Leaders cards of Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson and Fergie Jenkins; and a 1974 Topps Nolan Ryan.

So while these would be chump change in an expert vintage collection, I think they serve as nice highlights to an average, young collector's vintage collection.

No comments: