Thursday, March 27, 2008

Card of the Day: 2000 Greats of the Game Autographs Luis Aparicio


I consider 2000 Greats of the Game to be the landmark set to be the landmark set for legendary releases. While not the first, it far and beyond the most prominent.

The design was the first of its kind with a vintage feel and look. Fleer had used a vintage feel on 1996 and 1997 Fleer, but they didn't capture the look until Greats of the Game.

I remember when singles of this set easily sold for $1+ at a card show or flea market which gave me trouble as a 13 year old trying to get some of my favorite legends.

I had to settle on Dave Concepcion as my first GOTG card even though I wanted the Mickey Mantle that was selling for $10 at the same table.

Another key to this set was the autographs. While 1999 Sports Illustrated GOTG and 1999 Upper Deck Century Legends used autographs, they weren't chased nearly as much as the Fleer GOTG autographs were.

The autographs fit perfectly on the cards and were all done in beautiful ink right on the card. Today, you might pull a legend auto on a sticker.

Nowadays, the base cards can be found in the 10 cent box, but they will alwways be remembered for their popularity when they first came out.

No comments: